Friday, March 29, 2013

Clear Stamp Organization

Over the years I have stored my clear stamps in several different ways: in the original packaging, in baskets, in page protectors, in binders, in CD cases and in drawers.  Until now I haven't been completely satisfied with any storage system.  There has always been talk on the message boards about stamp storage and about whether or not to take apart the stamp sets and organize them by categories.  I decided to use binders because it made the most sense for my scrap space.  I purchased them with a coupon and a special promotion at Staples. The binders cost $9.99, but I don't remember what the final cost was with the discounts.


After much hesitation I separated my stamp sets by categories. (I kept all the original packing in case I ever want to put the stamp sets back together). I have to admit that I second guessed myself during the whole process especially when I had a hard time deciding which category a stamp should be in!
I came up with the following categories:
Shapes and Travel
Journal Labels
Alphas, Numbers, Dates
Phrases
I'm using this binder by Martha Stewart  and  a variety of page protectors .   These pages are perfect to hold stamps because each pocket has a flap that keeps the stamps from falling out while flipping through the binder. The stamps in these binders are the ones I use the most for Project Life and scrapbooking. 
This page is from the Phrases Binder.  

I cut down two clear transparency sheets to fit comfortably inside the page protector from the scrapbook section at Michael's to hold the stamps.  Washi tape holds the two transparencies together.  I added white cardstock to the page protector to add stability.
This page is from the Journals and Labels binder

This page is from the Alphas, Numbers and Dates binder
All my alphas are on the original plastic sheet.

The stamps I use to make cards are stored in 8.5x11 office binders using the Martha Stewart Page Protectors. And my wood mounted stamps (which are very few) are in a Jet Max drawer.  
 
This page is from the binder that holds stamps for card making.

For Cling Stamps I only added cardstock to the pockets for stability; there is no need to use clear transparencies because there is one stamp per pocket and the stamp is easily removed from the pocket.  The stamps in the card making binders are loosely categorized by Theme (birthday, Christmas, baby etc), Sentiments, Floral and Backgrounds.  
This page is from the Shapes Binder


I love this thing!
This Martha Stewart desktop organizer is where I keep my most recent stamp sets as well as my favorite alpha stamps. The stamps I get with my monthly kits go right into this organizer. It sits right on my desk and everything is within reach.  Older stamps tend to lose their stickiness so keeping the stamps in the pocket page reduces the risk of losing a stamp. I keep the stamps in the organizer while using the set. . Once I have used the newer stamp sets enough I transfer them into a pocket page.  Because the stamps that I get from Citrus Twist Kits and Studio Calico Kits are usually smaller than 4x6 I will keep them in the original plastic sheet and store them in a Martha Stewart page protector.   I think that I will end up storing the pages of newer stamps in a basket because my binders are pretty full and I'm not sure I want to invest in anymore of them.  Adding the cardstock to the page protector provides enough stability that I will be able to easily flip through them in a basket.  

Cataloging Stamps:

One year I actually stamped every single image onto cardstock and used my Bind It All machine to create a catalog of my stamps. That was one of the most exhausting projects ever! Every so often I flip through it but it is a reminder of  all that exhausting work.  It doesn't even look nice!  Anyway, now that I am wiser...this is what I do:

I cut and paste an image of the stamp set from the internet into a word document and VIOLA! All done!    This system works because it also provides me with the original image of the stamp set, the name of the set and the manufacturer information!  The catalog is categorized by manufacturer then by theme.   

When deciding on how to store or organize your supplies do what works for you and your work space.  My space is small and in the basement and I have to keep that in consideration when organizing my supplies.  I will admit I often find myself green with envy when I see the beautiful scrap rooms all over the message boards. I tell myself  "Maybe one day but for today enjoy the space that you do have!"
I keep my stamp binders on a shelf made by Jet Max.  The 2 white binders hold my Card Stamps, the small black binders are my PL and scrapbook stamps and I have 5 WRMK 12x12 albums on this shelf also. I'm not sure what is in the 3rd white binder...maybe some sketches from a class.

How do you store or catalog your stamps?   
Please share and let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for stopping by!
Marisol
  

4 comments:

  1. TFS your ideas. I have been looking to organize my clear stamps because they are in a pile in a drawer and I find I don't use them as much as I would like to that way....you are one of many who have suggested the MS page protectors for this project. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip about finding the stamp images on the internet and pasting into a Word document. Adding that to my summer to-do list, as I need a good way to catalog all my stamps, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had just re-organized my clear and cling stamps as well. It was such a big job.
    I was second guessing myself as well....one was, why am I doing this, lol.
    Hope this system works better for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love how organized you are about your stamps !

    ReplyDelete