Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Left Overs...

 I have finally figured out what to do with the left overs!

No, I'm not talking about dinner left overs. I'm talking about the left over plastic you get when you trim down a pocket page protector.   I created an accordion foldout with the left over plastic!






At times when working on Project Life the stories  take up more room than the typical 2 page spread allows for.  I always want to cram the pictures into the 2 page spread instead of creating an insert because the thought of trimming a pocket page protector made me cringe because of the left over plastic.  

I have punched holes in the left over plastic and added it to my album BUT the insert does not turn over very smoothly AND the holes need to be punched into the 4x6 space. In other words there was no spine on the plastic for the holes.   I understand that for other 'Project Lifers' (that is what people call us) this isn't necessarily a problem but for me it was.  My little kids need to be able to turn the pages with ease.    
I took a ton of photos on Saturday and created a collage as well as an accordion foldout.  The bottom right pocket is where the foldout is.  I attached a piece of washi tape and added a puffy camera sticker as a 'handle' for the foldout.  I may go back and replace it with folded ribbon instead. I think the washi may not hold up over time.



When completely open the foldout looks just like part of the original page.





With the accordion foldout in addition to the collage I was able to include 7 pictures from Saturday!  
I made the accordion foldout using the 'leftovers' of a 6 pocket page protector.  I cut the bottom pocket in half, trimmed the edges at an angle and adhered it to the photo in the pocket.  You can do exactly the same thing with the 'leftovers' from a Design A pocket page protector and instead of a 4x6 pocket you will have 2 3x4 pockets in the middle section of the foldout!  The foldout can be placed inside any of the 4x6 pockets on the right side of a spread and in the top two pockets on the left side of a spread.  

I'm excited about this new way of adding more photos to my album!  
How do you use 'leftovers'? 
Today I'm linked up with The Mom Creative
Thanks for stopping by!
Marisol








9 comments:

  1. Fabulous idea! Love the fold outs you created. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, love the folded page :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing. Lovely pages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Love your pages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea, but how do you get it so the seam "bends?" Do you know what I mean? For the first time this past weekend I sewed a seam in a page protector (turned my 12x12 into a 8x8)--and I have wanted to get creative like you did...but I was stuck on how flexible the seam would bend. If you get the urge to do a detail step by step I would love to see!!! - heather www.hgjphotography.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous idea (and can't wait to try it)! I can see even cutting a slit in one of the pockets on the left side so I could have extra photos on that side as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea and will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete